The Membership Director is responsible for overseeing the operations of the membership department. This position is in charge of conducting membership sales, soliciting prospective members, generating new leads, setting up appointments for Club tours, and taking prospective members on Club tours. This position is to assure that all sales are conducted in a fair, professional, and ethical manner. The Membership Director is responsible for promoting the Club and maintaining a positive public image of Columbia Athletic Clubs. The Membership Director will assist the Club Manager in developing and implementing the Club marketing plans as well as monitoring their effectiveness. The Membership Director is accountable for sales results and meeting sales goals for the membership department. Work is reviewed and measured in terms of meeting sales goals and the performance of other membership staff. If sales goals are not met for three consecutive months, further employment with CAC will be evaluated.
Critical Success Factors:
- Ethical and professional sales of Columbia Athletic Club memberships.
- Adherence to Washington State sales laws.
- Generate new leads.
- Meet sales goals.
- Assist in the development and implementation of marketing programs.
- Positive interaction with the public and membership.
- Complete knowledge of Columbia Athletic Club facilities, history, and programs.
- Attend Club functions, community events, member social nights, and interact with members.
- Meet with prospective members to tour the Club and fully describe services and amenities provided at Columbia Athletic Clubs. Communicate to prospective members by phone, email, and in person.
- Sell memberships as specified in the Sales Policies and Procedures Manual, fully explaining different membership types, programs, rules, regulations, costs, and fees.
- Set up new members with introductory fitness orientations and/or new member orientations.
- Accurately and efficiently process all necessary agreements, membership forms, and reports.
- When not touring, generate new sales leads through prospecting, continuing to work current leads, member referrals, old leads, etc.
- Maintain accurate statistics on calls, tours, sales, advertising, and promotional results.
- Complete monthly membership reports as assigned.
- Survey and relate to the management information regarding our competitors and other facilities (locally, regionally, nationally) at least twice per year on fee structures, membership programs, and compensation.
- Assist the General Manager and with the development and implementation of monthly and yearly marketing plans, sales goals, etc.
- Seek referrals from members and prospective members.
- Maintain sales prospecting in the membership software.
- Write articles on Membership for the Club publications.
- Attend regular management meetings of the facility, as well as inter-departmental and inter-club meetings with other Membership Directors; keep updated on all Club activities.
- Participate in or observe each group program your Club offers to better explain the classes, instructor styles, fitness level requirements, etc.
- Demonstrate knowledge of and incorporate into the department the history of our organization, knowledge of other facilities and personnel, our vision, core values and be able to impart this knowledge, lead, and develop staff that supports these principles.
- Hire (in conjunction with the General Manager), train, supervise, schedule, and evaluate membership representatives. Promote excellence within the department by promoting and recognizing staff for their efforts. Create career paths; provide continuing education opportunities, constantly providing information industry trends and techniques to staff (i.e. – provide ongoing staff sales training on how to represent the Club and its facilities.)
- Solicit and create relationships with the local businesses to generate new leads and Columbia Athletic Club awareness.
- Other duties as assigned.
Skills And Abilities Required:
- Ability to work with little supervision.
- Ability to provide leadership to staff.
- Ability to delegate effectively.
- Effective communication skills, in person, on phone and email.
- Ability to meet and work with the public in a friendly and enthusiastic manner.
- Well-organized and work well under pressure.
- Accurate handling of paperwork and ability to write in a clear, concise, and comprehensible manner.
- Ability to read, comprehend, and discuss contracts.
- Good knowledge of exercise and conditioning.
- Marketing and sales skills.
- Ability to work as a team player.
- Availability to work varied schedules, including nights and weekends.
- Minimum of three year’s experience in a business setting with marketing and sales experience.
- One year’s supervisory experience. (If applicant is currently employed with Columbia Athletic Clubs, management experience is not required, but strongly recommended.)
- Fitness and health club experience.
- Computer experience. Ability to learn new software programs.
- College degree in business, marketing, or related field preferred.
- CPR certified.