Make no mistake about it, when you introduce your kids to the game of golf, you are providing them with one of the most valuable gifts of developing skills and abilities that will last a lifetime. Here are 10 reasons why golf is good for kids:
1. Anyone Can Play: Golfers come in all shapes and sizes. You don’t have to be particularly strong, tall, lean or fast to succeed in this sport. You will learn how to take care of your body through this sport to perform at the level you desire.
2. Minimal Risk: Unlike many other sports like soccer, football, baseball theses are physically involved and the chances of injury – even series injury are always possible.
In golf – this is a non-contact sport, and serious injuries are almost non-existent.
3. Positive and Safe Environment: The golf course and driving range are safe places that facilitate instruction of sportsmanship, manners, courtesy, respect, honesty and integrity, to name a few. When you are involved in golf you learn more than a sport.
4. Lifelong Friendships: You never know who you will meet on the golf course, but it’s one of the easiest places to make friends. People who play golf are by in large very successful. Best of all – golf creates a unique bond so those friendships can be developed all over the world and last a lifetime!
5. Prepare for Business: It’s hard to think about it now, but kids grow up and the people they meet as children can play a huge part in their success later in life. Golf is a sport that helps prepare kids and teens for careers in business and other professional arenas.
6. Time spent OUTDOORS: In today’s world of video games, smart phones, and childhood obesity, it can be hard to drag your daughter or son off the couch to play outside. Golf is the perfect excuse to spend an entire day enjoying nature and presents the opportunity to develop healthy lifelong exercise habits!
7. Important Life Lessons: Golf closely parallels real life as one experiences highs and lows of the game. The range of experience, from birdies to bogeys, rewards a young person’s ability to keep each shot in perspective, manage one’s emotions, maintain a positive outlook and focus on the shot at hand. Golf is a sport that will teach your child things like integrity, discipline and respect. As they learn to conduct themselves on the golf course, these lessons will translate directly into everyday life (See www.traitsofchampions.com).
8. College Scholarships: Avid golfers have a lot of opportunities when it comes to college funding. The earlier your child starts, the greater his or her chance is of gaining access to scholarship funds – and as the price of college education continues to soar, wouldn’t it be grand to have this as a potential carrot for any parent?
9. Spend time with Family: Golf is a game that encourages family participation. When children are young, they enjoy doing just about anything with you. Golf is an opportunity for quality bonding time and it’s one that can last a lifetime!
10. It’s FUN: This should probably be at the top of the list, but one of the best reasons to get your daughter or son involved with golf is that they’ll have an absolute blast. They’ll have a chance to learn new skills both physical and mental, make new friends and discover new opportunities. There are a million things you can buy your kids or gift your kids in the hope that it helps them learn and grow, only a few make a real impact. Encouraging them to play golf is one!
-Excerpted from Golf Range “10 ten reasons” – Published by Andrew Wood, Colleague in Golf, Author, #1 Marketing support person to Golf Professionals all around the world.
Get your kids into a camp or program here at the range or anywhere you live. Get them a Youth on Course Membership at Washington State Golf Association https://youthoncourse.org/join/. This program saves money at many facilities in the state of Washington, where kids play for reduced fees.
Call the Range at 425.338.2424 and ask what camp, class or program is best for your daughter or son.