Remember, 2019 is your year. I can feel it! This is the year of no excuses and the year to be good to you.
February is typically the month where many tend to focus on your special relationship. Whatever the relationship you choose to celebrate you need to take care of yourself in order to take care of that someone special. So let’s celebrate the month of love by showing some love to our own selves by taking care of our mind and body. You can incorporate taking care of yourself with the love you show to your significant other and your family.
There are a lot of us that sacrifice a lot for our family or our significant other that takes its toll on our body and mind. For most of us this is a choice out of love and goodness of our heart so we need to prepared to do it well.
Some of us work a lot of hours (guilty here) and by the time you get home you’re not able or willing to take time to take care of yourself. It’s the family or significant other first then dinner then bed. If you’re like me you go a million miles an hour during the day and very actively do not sit down too quickly once you get home because you’re absolutely done for the night if you do. If this is your situation you can take some steps during the day to help out.
Here are a few ways you can help feel great in your body and your mind while you’re away from your family:
- Stay Hydrated – keep a bottle of water with you at your desk and in your car.
- Avoid Sugar – Limit the trips to the candy bowls scattered throughout the office.
- Avoid complacency – Stand while you take that phone call go take a walk while you’re on your break.
- Go the extra mile – Park further away in the parking lot and take the stairs instead of the elevator.
When you’re with your significant other or your family try to do some things during that time that are healthy in mind and body for all of you:
- Go to the park – spring is coming and taking a walk or playing a ball game outside is great exercise and a great way to bond with your family and get some air.
- Take a group exercise class – CAC - Silver Lake caters to families and offer classes for everyone.
- Get the bikes out – A family bike ride on some of the trails of our beautiful state is a fantastic way to stay healthy and bond with one another.
- Family Fun Nights – Many places have these programs. Our club has one every month that includes activities such as Movies in the pool, family yoga, family badminton, family dodgeball and Nerf wars.
Some of us might find ourselves spending this month alone. Many of us make this an active choice but many of us don’t and it can potentially cause some real health issues. If you find yourself alone or just feeling that way during the month of love, do your best to find ways to help reduce the stress that it inevitably leads to:
- Exercise – Do it because it’s good for your soul and not so much your outward appearance. Do it not as trying to reach a specific goal. Do it because it makes you feel good.
- Try not to compare yourself to others – They’re not you and you’re not them. Besides, deep down they may want to be you if they really knew you.
- Treat yourself – If you can afford it, treat yourself to something you don’t necessarily need. A plane ticket to your dream destination, tickets to a concert or play… How about a cruise?
- Be good to others – no matter your situation it’s so important to treat others well despite how you may have been treated. Do this because it makes you feel good in the end and not because it’s expected of you.
You really do deserve love in your life. We all do.
– Dan Engle